Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Both Sides of the Coin

I started wondering today whether Facebook makes me happy. Usually it does, I think--I have friends that I wouldn't otherwise be in contact with. Quite a few people I know are hilarious to read about in status updates. I can share my photos and see what everyone is up to. I like those parts.

However, today I read a few things (as I do probably every other day or so) that made my heart hurt. A few things hateful or spiteful, and several things that are just sad or negative. I've always heard that when you input negative things into your brain, negative things are bound to come out. I find that to be true--if I stew all day on negative things I can get myself down.

It makes me wonder whether it is a good idea to look at Facebook so much. That sad, I'm a Facebook addict, so cutting that cord would be quite a challenge.

On the flip side of the coin, something that made me ecstatic today was a personal email from my favorite author, Gretchen Rubin! She read my blog, THEN took the time to send me an email saying she enjoyed my post! I am flattered and excited.

I guess you have to take the good with the bad, right? (Start theme song from The Facts of Life...)

2 comments:

Llama is Delicious said...

There's always a way to refresh your perspective and see things in a different light. I think we can change negativity or at least quash it. That, or you could just delete friends that are hateful or irritating.

Congrats about the Gretchen Rubin thing. You should ask her to come the last Saturday in some month to one of your meetings.

Sherre said...

I recently heard the term, "Frienemy," and have decided to stop communications with people who call themselves "Friends," but who are negative and spiteful. They are those who get my blood pressure up, and then I feel bad about being angry with them for whatever.
Facebook does have some of those people who take our focus away from the blessings and goodness in the world. There is enough negativity in this world without adding to it!
Surround yourself with positive people...that's my goal these days.