Monday, October 13, 2008

Religion vs. Faith

Recently I went to a movie. Some of you are gasping right now--Kate went to a movie?

I know. I generally have a hard time sitting still for as long as a movie takes to finish--they just aren't that good, and I get annoyed by the fact that it cost 10 dollars and that the snacks were so expensive I didn't get any even though I wanted to. And there are kids not old enough to be hanging around alone all just hanging around, being silly, doing all the things their parents ask them not to. And the parking is ridiculous, and the traffic, and the waiting in line. And then I have to sit in one position until it is over, and it's usually too loud...geez I sound like a whiner.


The movie I went to see was a) at the Tivoli, which is a small theater that usually plays documentaries and independent films (which consequently means no silly teenagers), b) with a very good friend, and c) an excellent movie. It was a documentary by Bill Maher, called Religulous. And I loved it.

Bill is an atheist, and a smart-ass, so it isn't surprising that the movie was brusque and witty. There were some excellent points, some people who made themselves look like idiots, and a little big of fear-mongering at the end, but I liked it still.

What I thought was most interesting was that many of the people Bill spoke to (and he didn't stop on Christianity--besides speaking to evangelicals and Catholics, he spoke to Mormons and Muslims and Jews, and scientists of all sorts, and creationists and evolutionists, and both crazy and sane individuals) couldn't speak to why they believed whatever it was they believed.

Oh, there were plenty of scholars, who were well-versed in their subjects, and they could answer most of his questions with thought-provoking answers, but many of the people (even some of those intellectuals) couldn't say for certain why they had faith.

That intrigued me. I can't say for certain what I believe--I grew up in a Christian home and that is what I know most about, but at the moment, my yoga practice and my Sunday morning knitting sessions are the things that speak to my soul most, like I would like a religion to do, but I can't find one that espouses the beliefs I hold. I would like to think, though, if I did firmly believe in one specific doctrine, that I could at least hold up to hard questions, and answer truthfully and intelligently, but maybe that wouldn't be true.

Many of the people Bill interviewed got defensive, and didn't want to hear questions. I know a lot of people like that, who are offended by questions about their faith. If you can't listen and answer questions, and handle opposition with at least a little strength, then was your faith all that strong to begin with?

A number of the interviewees also made statements that I know weren't true. For example, one minister interviewed about the $2000 suits he wears, and all this gold jewelry, and he said to Bill: "The Bible doesn't have anything against being rich!" While Bill played a clip from some movie with a Jesus character reciting Matthew 19:24: It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. It was amazing to watch a man that so many people follow seem to turn the words to what suited him best.

I know people are just people, but probably one of my biggest turn-offs with Christianity is that so many Christians, leaders and followers alike, seem to go directly against the beliefs they say they hold. I just want someone who is in a position of authority in the church to be honest and open, admit when they don't know the answer, and allow me to come to my own conclusions, and then not hate me when they are different conclusions than the church would have liked.

Religion is a hard topic--worse than politics. People's faith is so rooted next to their being that most don't want to hear dissension...it eats at their core, or their soul, and that is hard to handle.

I recommend the movie--if you're not easily offended by Bill Maher confronting beliefs that you may or may not hold dear. I'm still searching, so he didn't bother me in the slightest (and of course, he is a funny guy). If you see it, let me know what you think.

No comments: