Thursday, July 31, 2008

Follow Through

It's only been 2 days since I posted my Happiness Commandments, but I realized I had to add something to the list. It's ridiculous that I didn't notice it was missing--but maybe that's why I have to add it.

I have a hard time with following through on things. There isn't a specific set of things that I have a hard time with--my lack of commitment to tasks spans across leisure activities, work tasks, family obligations, and chores.

It has been AGES since The Husband and I replaced the carpet in our house with wood floors. I don't even remember when we did it, it has been so long. In order to replace the floors, we removed the baseboards and the closet doors from the bedrooms. We still haven't put them back up.

I have two books checked out from the library that I swear I want to read, but they are just sitting in the house--one on the bedside table and one in the library basket--and now I've reached my limit of renewals and have to take them back or pay the fine.

There is a crazy long list of tasks in my inbox at work that need to be completed, but they keep getting shoved to the bottom of the list.

All of these things make me unhappy. Not necessarily because I hate the missing baseboards and doors, or because I'll not finish the books, or because I can't finish the tasks at work. More because I know that I'm capable of doing all these things, and can't get motivated enough to do them. I'm disappointed in myself for letting these things lapse, and I know that I will feel more centered if I can follow through on the things I start.

So, my list of commandments is no longer an even 10, but I felt that to be truly accurate, number 11 had to be added. Gretchen had some advice for completing tasks that I think I will try, to see if I can get some of these things completed!

1 comment:

Suzy33m said...

When I want to practice following through, I have to force myself to leave the TV off. When I do that, I get so much done that it's kind of sad.